Some time back, I talked about how we live our lives on the edge of our seat, too stressed out and busy to really enjoy the world around us. I hope you accomplished your goal of becoming aware of your posture. I hope you learned to lean back and relax a little. However, there are always more steps you can take to reduce the stress in your life. In my experience, some of the best ways include some alone time and indulging in something that you take pleasure in. Sometimes, it requires you to reflect upon yourself and your world. More still, you can spend time around the people you love doing little (money-free) activities. Remember, it’s all about the small things! So, here are 15 of my favorite, simple ways to minimize the stress in your life, and maximize the happiness:
- Light a candle in your favorite scent. (Bonus points for aromatherapy scents.)
- Curl up with your favorite book, magazine, tv show, or movie. (F.R.I.E.N.D.S for me!)
- Drink a hot cup of herbal tea. I’m relaxed just thinking about it.
- Sit with a friend and just chat. Two is great company.
- Take a stroll by yourself. Enjoy the alone time.
- Put on some music and dance. Good vibes only around here.
- Color! Grab one of those adult coloring books, or even a children’s one and pretend you’re 4 again.
- Read poetry. There’s something relaxing about the beautiful way poets pull their words together so artistically.
- Write down your emotions. Having to slow down and articulate the way you feel often lets you release a lot of your tensions.
- Take deep belly breaths. Meditation is the oldest trick in the book for relaxation.
- Clean your environment. I, personally, turn into a ball of stress if my room is messy. So, this is a great step!
- Do something that will make you laugh! I love watching comedians. My favorite right now is Trevor Noah.
- Indulge yourself in a relaxing bath or hot shower. What better way to avoid your responsibilities and bring down those stress levels?
- Sing your favorite songs. Nothing is better than releasing different emotions through song.
- Look at art. Museums, online galleries, anything!
Now, it’s your turn! What are your favorite ways of relaxing? Let me know in the comments section below!